The current list of 14 strategic routes defined in order to improve the air accessibility of Montenegro has been expanded with three new destinations, namely flights from Podgorica to Marseille, Dublin and Vece, the Board of Directors of the Airport of Montenegro decided.
As it was announced after yesterday’s session, the Government adopted the Information on improving air accessibility with the proposed Decision on supplementing the list of strategic routes.
– Bearing in mind that Montenegro is predominantly a tourist country and that one of the main goals is to extend the duration of the summer tourist season, one of the priorities was defined as improving the air accessibility of Montenegro, above all from the countries of central, western and northern Europe as a market of crucial importance for the pre- and post-season. In this sense, the current list of 14 strategic routes will be supplemented with three new ones: Podgorica – Marseille, Podgorica – Dublin and Podgorica – Vece – it was announced.
– Marseille is a destination in the south of France and represents an important market for Montenegrin tourism, and Montenegro did not have an air connection with that part of France until now. Low-budget airlines Rayanair and Volotea have their operational bases at Marseille airport, so there are assumptions for interest in establishing flights on that route – the information states.
When it comes to Dublin, the document states that this destination in Ireland, together with Great Britain, represents a very significant emission market. Aer Lingus (the Irish national carrier and an extension of IAG) and Rayanair are based at that airport, which is a good basis for establishing traffic on this route.
When it comes to the flight to the city of Veca in Germany, it was clarified that the location is right on the border with the Netherlands.
– Bearing in mind the structure of passengers at the airport in this city, establishing flights on this route would establish
Is an air connection not only with this part of Germany, but also with the south-eastern part of the Netherlands, which gravitates towards this airport – it is explained in the document.
Let us remind you that the current Passion route was adopted on November 31, 2021, and includes flights from Podgorica to London, Paris, Rome, Brussels, Berlin, Stockholm, Milan, Barcelona, Munich, Dortmund and Abu Dhabi, and from Tivat to London, Manchester and Berlin.
– For the first 11 months of 2022, traffic was carried out on 11 strategic routes, with a significantly higher volume of traffic than in the same period in 2021. Thus, last year there were 1,095 rotations and 357,822 passengers, compared to 367 rotations and 96,668 passengers in 2021 – the document states.
When it comes to the results for last year, in the period from January 1 to November 30, the Airports of Montenegro achieved 10,496 aircraft rotations and served 1.81 million passengers, which represents an increase of 17% when it comes to aircraft rotations and 44% when it comes to the number of passengers served.
– Podgorica Airport recorded a result of 5,901 rotations and 1,181,857 passengers, which represents an increase of 42% and 97% compared to the same period in 2021 and an achievement of 84% and 97% compared to 2019 – can be seen in document.
On the other hand, mainly due to the loss of passengers from the Ukrainian market, Tivat Airport recorded a drop of almost four percent compared to 2021, and achieved about 47% of the number of passengers served in 2019.